gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-e

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-encumbered data is GNU FSDG compliant?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:52:09 +0300

* Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> [2022-05-05 17:21]:
> Em ter., 3 de mai. de 2022 às 14:58, Felipe Sanches
> <juca@members.fsf.org> escreveu:
>
> > I'd like to mention that I am extremely annoyed by
> > Telegram-desktop's implementation of an [anti-feature] which forbids
> > the user to copy/paste or forward text (and also forbids saving
> > images or other media included in the messages) from certain groups
> > where the admin has enabled the restriction. It may not be exactly
> > DRM because it does not seem to involve cryptography and also is
> > not directly enforcing copyrights, but it is my computer refusing
> > to obey my orders and instead subjugating me to the interests of a
> > third party.

I was against including Telegram in fully free distributions.

However, I have changed my opinion.

I can remember the time of Teletext in Germany, it is a service and
with corresponding software one could access the service.

Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext

Such service is centrally managed, but what is better? To have free
software to access it or not to have it?! I think it is beneficial to
have free software to access networks even if such networks are
centralized.

However, in your case, your issue is that you do not like specific
feature.

That is not DRM. Your request is exaggerated by telling how you would
like to change the rule of the organization that allowed you service
free of charge and how you would like to perpetrate wishes of specific
admins of specific groups.

Request is invalid because Telegram is free software. There is one
official version, and you are free to make your own version.

Please do not exclude Telegram from Parabola for reason of this
request.

If we go to extreme little more than any piece of free software could
also be said to subjugate the user because specific feature does not
correspond to my personal needs. There is however no real problem. We
can change free software how we wish and want.

> To me that looks like DRM: it's a digital restriction, and it can be
> managed by the admin.

But it is not DRM. It may look to you, but it is not.

To me it looks like you would like to disrespect some groups and their
admins' decisions, and now we have to read about it, and change
software so that you can do that.

> It looks very similar to the one in PDFs that tell the PDF reader to
> forbid printing.

Things may look similar. If we go for similar things and TV is similar
to computer, is it? We are not here to discuss things which are
similar, rather to make quite clear distinction between various issues
and to differentiate, as that is what we do.

> In Parabola we have several packages that are related to telegram:
> > community/python-aiogram 2.19-1.0
> >     A pretty simple and fully asynchronous library for Telegram Bot
> >     API written with asyncio and aiohttp
> > community/python-telegram-bot 13.8.1-1.1
> >     A pure Python interface for the Telegram Bot AP
> > community/telegram-desktop 3.6.1-1.0
> >     Official Telegram Desktop client
> > community/telegram-qt 0.1.0-4.1
> >     Qt bindings for the Telegram protocol
> > community/telepathy-morse 0.1.0-3.0
> >     Telepathy Connection Manager for the Telegram network
>
> So we probably need to look at it and remove telegram-desktop and add
> it back later on if/when we have the time to patch it.

That idea is detrimental to many users which opinion you did not
ask. And if software is free why would you remove it?

Make your fork and try doing what you wish. But remember, services
like Telegram have the rules of the game.

Also decentralized services have the rules of the game, such as HTTP
or email -- you are subjugated to use software under specific
standards. If you don't want those standards you may feel subjugated,
but that is far from being DRM.

Feel free to make your own standards and new software.

I have recently found this software to automatically reverse-engineer
REST APIs

alufers/mitmproxy2swagger: Automagically reverse-engineer REST APIs via
capturing traffic
https://github.com/alufers/mitmproxy2swagger

Show HN: Mitmproxy2swagger – Automagically reverse-engineer REST APIs | Hacker
News
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31354130

Thus Telegram client may now be used to generate a new Telegram-like
server. That is one major issue that says we shall keep Telegram as
free software.x

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman