gnu-linux-libre

[GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-encum

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-encumbered data is GNU FSDG compliant?
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 18:36:09 -0500

In https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html one can
read:

No Malware

The distro must contain no DRM, no back doors, and no spyware.

If free code implements a DRM scheme for the purpose of exposing the DRM-encumbered data to be read and copied using processes one can easily employ, is that code GNU FSDG-compliant?

I'll try to make up an example to describe what I'm after[1] -- imagine there was a a software device node (like "/dev/freeBluRay") which reads a Blu-ray movie ISO or disc and gives you a filesystem that makes the ISO/disc appear as an ordinary data volume. From this device you could get a directory and copy a movie file. Thus you would end up with an ordinary movie file which you can play with your favorite movie player (VLC, mpv, mplayer, etc.).

If the software that implements this:

1. is entirely free software, and
2. implements Blu-ray decryption for the purpose of putting together such a
movie file,

would that software be GNU FSDG-compliant?

Thanks for your insight.

[1] I have no idea if this exists or could exist.