gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-e

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Code which implements DRM in order to expose DRM-encumbered data is GNU FSDG compliant?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:21:26 +0200

Em ter., 3 de mai. de 2022 às 14:58, Felipe Sanches
<juca@members.fsf.org> escreveu:

> I'd like to mention that I am extremely annoyed by
> Telegram-desktop's implementation of an [anti-feature] which forbids
> the user to copy/paste or forward text (and also forbids saving
> images or other media included in the messages) from certain groups
> where the admin has enabled the restriction. It may not be exactly
> DRM because it does not seem to involve cryptography and also is
> not directly enforcing copyrights, but it is my computer refusing
> to obey my orders and instead subjugating me to the interests of a
> third party.
To me that looks like DRM: it's a digital restriction, and it can be
managed by the admin.

It looks very similar to the one in PDFs that tell the PDF reader to
forbid printing.

Do you have links to more information about that DRM?

In Parabola we have several packages that are related to telegram:
> community/python-aiogram 2.19-1.0
>     A pretty simple and fully asynchronous library for Telegram Bot
>     API written with asyncio and aiohttp
> community/python-telegram-bot 13.8.1-1.1
>     A pure Python interface for the Telegram Bot AP
> community/telegram-desktop 3.6.1-1.0
>     Official Telegram Desktop client
> community/telegram-qt 0.1.0-4.1
>     Qt bindings for the Telegram protocol
> community/telepathy-morse 0.1.0-3.0
>     Telepathy Connection Manager for the Telegram network

So we probably need to look at it and remove telegram-desktop and add
it back later on if/when we have the time to patch it.

Denis.