gnobog-devel

[Gnobog-devel] Re: Re: current status

From: renaud_chaillat
Subject: [Gnobog-devel] Re: Re: current status
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:38:11 CEST

>> If so then it gets interesting since both Fred and I know
>> nothing about your distro :-)
>Well, you definitely don't.  Once it was a SuSE with a state
>of about March 2000, but since then I upgraded and installed
>myself whatever I needed.
>And as I upgraded gcc and glibc myself, I tend to install
>everything from source.

Wow ! Well, as long as you have fun with it :-)

>So, it still has some SuSE remains, but it is essentially home grown.

Hence gtk and gnome in /opt.
Interesting since it's not a well tested environment for gnobog.

>> OK. We'll have to iron this out - though we quite frankly hate
>> all these autoconf stuff ;-)
>I like just to type "configure" when everything is provided,
>but for my own projects I typically write all the makefiles
>manually myself.

Same here: very useful to compile, but a nightmare on the developer's
side.

>"AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF" is provided by gdk-pixbuf.m4, but that is
>only in my old gnome installation.  For some reason, gtk2 doesn't
>provide that macro file (which is probably a gtk2 problem).

Then this might be a candidate for bugzilla.

>I also had to upgrade libtool, though I never got an explicit
>version complaint, but only an error that looked like libtool
>related and that went away after upgrading.

Do you remember the kind of error ?
Just to know if we should add a version check in configure.in.

>> Since I don't know your system, I just want to let you
>> know all the dependencies at once:
>> - gtk2 (with glib2)
>> - libxml2
>> - libxslt
>> - perl for most actual plugins
>Ah, thanks, that helps.  I just found out about the libxslt.

I think it's checked by the configure script, but wanted to let
you know in advance.

>Is perl 5.6.0 ok?

Yes, perl plugins are nearly trivial anyway. And it's not a
"hard" dependency, gnobog will start without it but won't
import much. C plugins would remove this dependency, but it
was quicker to write them in perl for now - time is what we
lack most.

>I'll probably be busy to install libxml2 and libxslt
>(and of course with my normal work) so I'll probably come to
>the first try to compile gnobog-test after the weekend.

OK, libxml2 and libxslt should be easy, they only rely on glibc
(and xslt on xml2). A piece of cake for someone that has updated
its glibc from source ;-)

Regards,
Renaud

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,16 € TTC/min)