Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gnewsense 3.0 install

From: Felipe Lopez
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gnewsense 3.0 install
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:47:38 -0500

2013/8/20 dww <address@hidden>

Hello

On my desktop machine which had the Beta, I reset the repository urls
and everything was fine.

On my laptop which had 2.3, I installed from DVD.  The installation went
fine through the Gnome log-in screen. I did not reformat my home
partition.  Upon logging in I got the following error:

"Could not update ICEauthority file /home/[username]/.ICEauthority"

I dismissed this and the Gnome desktop appeared with all the Desktop
item icons, however none of the bars along the edges appeared.  Doing
any kind of operation produced error messages to the effect that I did
not have permission to update gconf.

I figured that all the files in the home directory and subdirectories
had the same username as before but a user id number from 2.3 but 3.0
had assigned a different user id number.

I rebooted into recovery mode and from the root command prompt:

chown -R [username] /home/[username]/

After this the full Gnome desktop appeared correctly after rebooting and
logging in.

Was my reasoning as to cause of the problem correct?  Is this a problem
that has occurred before and should it be in the documentation?

Hi, Dennis.

I haven't found this in the documentation. But just for your information,
gNewSense 3 documentation about upgrading (which needs revision) is in:

http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/3/InstallationManual/Upgrading

And the problems and solutions about gNewSense 3 can be found at:

http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/3/ProblemsAndSolutions

I'll keep a record of this message to see if I can document it. Currently, I
don't have the time, so if anyone else can do it, that willl be great.

--
Felipe Lopez
http://sirgazil.info/