Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documentation

From: Christian Bryant
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documentation
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:18:07 -0700

> an original and unique set from the wiki, but both something that
> informs the wiki and is informed by the wiki.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you explain further?

What I meant by the above is simply that the compiled gNewSense
documentation set would be the de-facto reference for each release,
and that it _could_ form the base of the wiki, but since the wiki is a
living thing, the wiki would likely inform future releases of the
compiled documentation set as useful information is contributed.

Also, I believe that the documentation should fully represent the
gNewSense statement that gNewSense "...aims to remove all the
non-free software from..." "...Debian to make a 100% Free Software
distribution."  This would be seen from the bottom up, from the
documentation source code, to the framing of the initial manual,
to the practice of updating the system in a "free" fashion and
in using only tools on the system that are "free".  What you don't
want is simply a copy of the Debian documentation, or for users to
simply install the Debian manuals and believe that they are using
a Debian OS.  This is gNewSense, not Debian.

I am a fan of Linux from Scratch, but I replace packages here and
there with a combination of software - especially Linux-libre - that
I feel good about using as an FSF supporter.  Not everyone can
roll their own GNU+Linux system, or know why they should, and so
the documentation should always remind them whether explicitly or
by example that the core value of the gNewSense project has not
changed, demonstrating "freedom in action".  I was not using LFS
when gNewSense first came out, so I support the project because
I believe in the message and in making that easily available to the
average user, and because it was the first "free" OS I ever used.

- Christian Bryant