Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documentation

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Documentation
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:20:52 +0200

Op Sun, 23 Jun 2013 16:53:06 -0700
schreef Christian Bryant <address@hidden>:

> Personally, I've always felt something as large as an OS should be
> well documented and some approach to _not_ assuming the user knows
> everything, much as SUSE and Red Hat document their GNU/Linux
> systems.

I agree.

> Additionally, I like how the Debian documentation is put together
> (non-wiki) and install-able via apt-get in various formats.

Yes, it's good to have the documentation inside the distribution. But I
think it's not used nearly as much as Web search engines or forums,
even though it holds many of the answers.

> That leads me to believe something like Texinfo would be a good
> starting point for an overall gNewSense documentation set;

Sirgazil wrote some documentation [1] in DocBook in the past. It seems
that Bazaar repo has been removed. I believe DocBook and Texinfo can be
converted to each other and to various other formats. For gNewSense we
try to maintain a slight bias towards GNU software, in this case
Texinfo. On the other hand, it's just pragmatic to (re)use any of
Debian's documentation (packaged or otherwise) that's useful to us.

I'll leave it up to the person stepping up to take the lead in the
documentation effort to pick the tools and subjects. Volunteers?

> an original and unique set from the wiki, but both something that
> informs the wiki and is informed by the wiki.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you explain further?

[1] http://www.gnewsense.org/DocumentationProjects/AboutgNewSense