Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Parkes alpha 1

From: rsiddharth
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Parkes alpha 1
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:29:16 +0530

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:16:08 +1000, Andrew Roffey wrote:

You're using GRUB Legacy, so perhaps an ext4 support issue? I did a
quick internet search, and it looks like GRUB Legacy has to be patched
to support ext4.

I am not really sure whether the newly installed system has GRUB Legacy or the GRUB2 as I see no "menu.lst" file in the /boot directory, but I'd find the "grub.cfg" file somewhere in the /boot directory.

I ran the "grub-install -v" command (after chrooting into the root partition of the newly installed system) to find that the version of GRUB is 1.98.

You could just use a Live CD of another distro to install GRUB2 instead.
Just mount your partition and do
# grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

I ran a live session of Trisquel 4.5 and hit the following commands:

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
# chroot /mnt
# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
# update-grub

After this, I restarted the system and Bang! GRUB loaded successfully and started gNewSense 3.0 alpha. I was able to log in to GNOME.

These links were helpful in solving the problem:

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/How_to_fix_Grub2_error_15_in_Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#ChRoot

Thanks for your response Andrew Roffey.

--