Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Inkscape crashes

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Inkscape crashes
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 22:01:31 +0200

Richard Stallman schreef:
Inkscape crashes on startup.  I ran it with no args,
and it displayed a small window for a short time
so fast I could not see it.

On the xterm it says something about "GC Warning: Out of Memory".

The machine has swap space so I doubt no memory was available.

I tried Inkscape on my Yeeloong and it started without a problem.

I searched the Debian and Ubuntu bug trackers. There are lots of reports of Inkscape crashing, but I could find only one that seems similar to your case [1]. It was reported over 3 years ago (version 0.44) and was not acted upon.

As for diagnosing the problem: you could try the Debian way of getting a backtrace [2]. It comes down to rebuilding and installing the package and running it with gdb.

Alternatively, the output of 'strace inkscape' may provide some clue.

If this actually is a memory problem, then an analysis with Valgrind might prove useful [3], although I've found a few comments from users about Inkscape not working well with it. [3] also says that you can turn off the garbage collector (GC), but I'm not sure if that's recommended for normal use.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/167742
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace
[3] http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/TestingFramework#Valgrind_Memory_Leak_Testing