Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:36:40 -0600

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:

>> segfaults when going to YouTube. Obviously on the TODO list.
>
> Some time ago, I tried HD content on Youtube and it worked (with the
> right &fmt= option). However, I read they recently switched their HD
> player to some AS3 + more features... that Gnash probably doesn't
> implement?

  I was using the older swf v9 player, for example AP News. The bigger
problem is the segfault, so I can't really test YouTube with vaapi right
now.

> BTW, now that Cairo has a modern OpenGL renderer, I think I would favor
> work on the Cairo backend.

  The Cairo backend is also closer to correct rendering than the OpenGL
backend. Since we have to convert vectors to bitmaps for OpenGL anyway,
we might as well use Cairo unless there is an appreciable performance
performance hit. I've never seen OpenGL really helping that much, so my
guess is with Cairo on top of OpenGL, we won't notice any difference in
performance.

  I'm also curious about the framebuffer backend for Cairo, and whether
it has touchscreen support, can run without GTK, etc...

        - rob -