Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Craig Kelley
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:50:32 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Rob Savoye wrote:

If anyone decides to play with this, run 'gnash --render-mode
(opengl|cairo|agg)'. The new option for HW video accelerators is
'--hwaccel (none, vaapi, xv)'. So far I've tested this on an Nvidia
(binary blob and libvdpau required), and Intel (965 required), and
supposedly ATI works with libxvba.

Awesome!

The last thing I need to fix before migrating this to trunk is currently
if vaapi is enabled, but you don't have supported hardware, it doesn't
handle this gracefully at all. (it segfaults, actually) it should also
be possible to find the best defaults for a platform, for example
testing for opengl/vaapi support, then dropping back to agg/vaapi, then
agg/xv, then agg/none. Unfortunately Gnash's Xv support has a major
scaling bug...

It depends on what you indend and what it actually does. What behavior are you seeing?

So far I actually haven't seen much performance improvement in my
testing, (mpeg4 n an FLV) but it looks like the bottleneck is in our
renderers.

Full-screen FLV is pretty much the only thing that benefits from it, although things like animations can as well. If you tell the renderer to render something like Strongbad at 640x480, and then have Xv blow it up to 1900x1200, it works flawlessly -- if you have AGG render directly to 1900x1200, then Xv doesn't help at all, and chances are you're seeing 1 frame every 5 seconds from AGG.

It's confusing... Adobe have tackled this by only using hw acceleration to blow up full-screen movies.

--
Craig Kelley
http://inconnu.islug.org/~ink finger same server for PGP block