Re: [Gnash-dev] About the gnash openGL

From: Question
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] About the gnash openGL
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:46:39 +0800

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Question wrote:

Yep, we don't need to support a large scale of SWFs all over the net, so I
think the openGL back end maybe better for us. Is there any binary package
that using the openGL back end?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure you'd need to write some code for
Gnash to do what you want it to do, so you'll be compiling it anyway.

OK, Thanks.

& What do you mean by "a bit harder"? Any detailed info? Can't I just make
the gnash unmodified, make the SWF transparent and change the background at
24/60 fps?

I can't really answer your question accurately without more information
about what you want to do. It is, of course, possible to have Gnash
rendering into a separate OpenGL window using (at least GTK). But if you
really want Gnash to render into the same OpenGL context as your
existing application, you'll basically have to hack Gnash.

OK, actually NOT only rendering but also need it to be interactive with mouse and keyboard, because we want it be part of our UI framework. Is it possible?

I don't really know what's the best way(s) to do it. Any clue?

My best guess would be that you have an OpenGL application that, among
other things, you want to display SWFs in. Now, the way I see it, the
easiest way to do that would be to provide a new Gnash GUI that merely
delivers a bitmap to your application when an SWF frame has been
rendered, so you can simply plaster that into your OpenGL scene and use
it as a texture or something along those lines.

Do you mean some hidden Gnash windows deliver bitmaps to my app, and the visible main window send click/resize/... events back to those hidden windows to make them interactive?

Another off topic question:
As Gnash use the ffmpeg/Gstreamer as decoding audio and video library. Is it possible to streaming/play other formats like mkv files directly?