Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/shar

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than byte-compiled file"
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:06:58 -0600

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Anton Ertl
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 05:19:47AM -0600, Donald Winiecki wrote:
>> I have recently updated my Emacs setup to Emacs 24.3 on Ubuntu 12.4.
>> "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than
>> byte-compiled file"
>
> I recently read that Debian is disabling byte compilation for
> gforth.el.  Maybe that has to do with that (although that was much
> more recent than 12.4).  Anyway, David, you may want to look into Bug
> #738819 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738819>.
>
>> This doesn't seem too serious but from this I don't know if Emacs 24.3
>> is using the older byte-compiled file or the source, and if
>> byte-compiling the newer source will do anything undesirable vis-a-vis
>> the byte-compiled older gforth.el
>
> I doubt that there will be serious problems.
>
> - anton

Okay. I renamed my gforth.elc to old-gforth.elc and this cleared up
the symptom noted above.

That is, (a) in Emacs 24.3 and (b) after renaming gforth.elc, (c) when
invoking `M-x run-forth', (d) Emacs no longer reports the following in
its minibuffer: "Source file
`/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than byte-compiled
file".

So, I guess we know that Emacs 24.3 `prefers' to use gforth.el.  This
seems to confirm Anton's report about disabled byte-compiling of
gforth.el

Any other knowledge about this stuff would be welcome. For now, I'm
back to the quiet but turgid stuff of creation.

Best,

_don