Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/shar

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than byte-compiled file"
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:42:42 +0100

Am Dienstag, 25. März 2014, 12:31:03 schrieb Donald Winiecki:
> I can't say for sure what is happening under the hood.
>
> That said, the install of gforth _appears_ to complete successfully
> (that is, I can run gforth without drama afterwards), but the
> compilation of gforth.el does NOT complete and throws an error.  This
> error seems to be left in the package manager system and then whenever
> installing anything through the package manager, the same error is
> output.

I see.

> I'm not sure if this actually affects the functioning of things,

Well, if you have an outdated gforth.elc, it will not get replaced.
Otherwise, it doesn't stop anything from working, emacs will take the
gforth.el instead the gforth.elc, and take a little longer to load Forth mode.
That's all.

> but
> it is ugly and leaves constant reminders of something not being quite
> right.

Yes.

> Since I'm not yet wedded to gforth proper, I'm willing to wait on
> this.  However, up until recently I've been using it fruitfully when
> forth was appropriate, and I've been watching this list and like what
> I see from the principals, so would like to stay with gforth.
>
> I am not capable of getting into internals, but I wonder what might I
> do to help?

We have no problem with fixing this thing, this has been fixed in the Git head
when I got Emacs 24.x on my distribution.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/