Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/shar

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than byte-compiled file"
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:31:03 -0600

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Bernd Paysan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. März 2014, 11:55:07 schrieb Donald Winiecki:
>> Okay. Will this updated dist build without an older version of GFORTH.
>
> Sure, distributions will build without installed Gforth. Only the source code
> needs an installed Gforth
>
>>  (Everything version of GFORTH to which I now have access will try to
>> compile gforth.el for Emacs 24.3, and that always throws an error.  I
>> can't even get the Ubuntu dist version -- gforth-0.7.0 -- to install
>> without an error.)
>
> Does Debian roll back the install if it can't build gforth.elc?  This would be
> very unfortunate.  One of the problems we have is that they don't communicate
> at all with upstream (i.e. us)...

I can't say for sure what is happening under the hood.

That said, the install of gforth _appears_ to complete successfully
(that is, I can run gforth without drama afterwards), but the
compilation of gforth.el does NOT complete and throws an error.  This
error seems to be left in the package manager system and then whenever
installing anything through the package manager, the same error is
output.

I'm not sure if this actually affects the functioning of things, but
it is ugly and leaves constant reminders of something not being quite
right.

Since I'm not yet wedded to gforth proper, I'm willing to wait on
this.  However, up until recently I've been using it fruitfully when
forth was appropriate, and I've been watching this list and like what
I see from the principals, so would like to stay with gforth.

I am not capable of getting into internals, but I wonder what might I
do to help?