geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] ‘geiser-guile-load-path’ v s. ‘%load-compiled-path’

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] ‘geiser-guile-load-path’ v s. ‘%load-compiled-path’
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 23:02:51 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 02 2013, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently ‘geiser-guile-load-path’ maps to a series of -L flags on the
> ‘guile’ command line, which augments ‘%load-path’.
>
> However, it is usually desirable to augment ‘%load-compiled-path’ in
> addition to ‘%load-path’.  Failing to do so, Geiser misses an
> opportunity to use fresh .go files that may be sitting next to the
> source files; worse, it may end up using stale .go files, which can be a
> problem when ABI changes are introduced (for instance when the body of
> macros is changed, as is the case with SRFI-9 record accessors.)
>
> What about adding an initialization snippet to augment
> ‘%load-compiled-path’ accordingly?

Makes sense... is there a flag similar to -L for %load-compiled-path?
And can we share the directories in geiser-guile-load-path for both
non-compiled and compiled paths or is it better to have separate lists?

We also have a command to augment %load-path while the REPL is running:
would it make sense to add also the requested directory to
%load-compiled-path? (having a separate command sound a bit too much,
but is doable if that's the right thing to do...)

Cheers,
jao

--
`Be what you would seem to be'---or, if you'd like it put more
simply---`Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it