gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate
Date: 28 Mar 2004 15:37:34 +0200

> From: Elena Zannoni <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:32:06 -0500
>  > >
>  > > Well, you agree with me then, that if the discussions are kept public
>  > > we are ok. If not, we are in trouble.
>  >
>  > No, I don't.  I was talking about _technical_ discussions.
>  >
>  > When personal issues are involved, it is sometimes better to talk in
>  > private.  We all have practiced that in the past.
>
> I don't understand what personal issues have to do with patch
> review.

I thought you mentioned public discussions in reference to off-list
mail exchanges that eventually led to our current discussions.  Those
exchanges were not about reviewing patches.

> I am saying that only technical issues discussed publicly should
> affect the outcome of any given patch.

We are in agreement here.

But that wasn't why I mentioned this in the first place.  I meant to
say that _because_ patch review is a public process, any non-technical
issues are normally kept at bay by the participants' urge to appear as
technically unbiased professionals.

> There is no hidden or oblique meaning in what I said. I would hate to
> see a repeat of what happened last November.

What happened last November, and how can it happen again?

I'm serious: I really don't feel I understand what you are saying, and
given the emotions that fly around and the fact that English is not my
first language (as a matter of fact, not even my second), I don't want
to misunderstand.