gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate

From: Michael Snyder
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:53:24 +0000

Elena Zannoni wrote:
Jim Blandy writes:
> > Andrew Cagney <address@hidden> writes:

 > > > I haven't done a formal analysis, no
 > > above Jim, elena reviewed '03:
 > > 02: ++++------------------------------
 > > 03: +----
 > > 04: +----------
 > > 05: +-------------
 > > 06: -----------
 > > 07: ++-------------
 > > 08: --+
 > > 09: ++++----------
 > > 10: +++-------------
 > > 11: +++-----
 > > 12: +++++----
 > > reviewed your patches:
 > > 02: ----------
 > > 03: --
 > > 04: --
 > > 05: -----
 > > 06: ---
 > > 07:
 > > 08:
 > > 09: +
 > > 10:
 > > 11:
 > > 12:
 > > suspect the results would be similar.

Jim, words are cheap, aren't they?

Not sure who you are replying to here -- those aren't Jim's words.

 > The proposal....

Your proposal has a fundamental flaw.  Trusting that voting achieves
its purpose means to trust that people are acting fairly and that
everybody's opinion gets a fair chance based on technical merit.

Hang on.  I hope it is understood by now that voting was a minor
side note to our proposal.  The main point of the proposal was that
global maintainers should be blanket write maintainers, as they were
before and as they are in GCC and most other FSF projects.

Personally, I wish we could table the issue of voting and focus
the discussion on the pros and cons of returning the blanket
write privileges of the global maintainers.

Here
you are, instead, openly stating that voting is about convincing
people to be on your side, instead of believing that they can achieve
an independent opinion on their own.  In the past you have actively
lobbied against people behind their back, with mailing lists and
weekly phone conferences set up for the purpose.

Come on, Elena -- let it go.  Lobbying is not a crime, even when
done "behind someone's back".  Andrew did exactly the same thing
when he wanted to change Blanket Write maintainers into Global
maintainers -- he called a bunch of us privately to convince us.
Similarly, he has been calling people privately to convince them
to drop their maintainership roles.  This is just not an issue.

> You also have
admitted that you have personal grudges against Andrew.  Therefore I
definitely don't trust that voting in this community is going to be
fair.  I am not against voting per se, but here, I have my serious
doubts about it.

So what are you saying?  You're ok with voting, as long as Jim
doesn't get a vote?  You're ok with voting, but not in this
community?  I'm definitely wondering where you're going with this.