gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate

From: Corinna Vinschen
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Re: Feb's patch resolution rate
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:22:12 +0100

On Mar 25 22:52, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > If GDB's problem is that there are not enough hours volunteered to do
> > patch review well, it does not make sense to pillory the volunteers
> > who are unable to contribute as much as others.  Instead, we should
> > figure out what we can do to attract more volunteers to contribute.
>
> And I will add that there are volunteers that are willing to contribute
> more but can't, because we don't give them the priviledges. I've had
> several patches being looked at by a global maintainer, who said that
> they looked good to him, but they've been ignored since. Same for
> Michael Chastain and his testsuite/lib patch.
>
> Give the Global Maintainers blanket priviledges.

I think it's also necessary to attract new area specific maintainers
and I'm sure that there are people interested to take over that right
and responsibility.  IMHO it just takes too much time until somebody
is trusted enough to be able to maintain and review area specific code.
However, nobody brings him/herself into this position.  What's missing
are more and earlier invitations from the existing, active maintainers.

Corinna