Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Misunderstanding the Free Software Philosophy

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Misunderstanding the Free Software Philosophy
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:24:36 +0000

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 02:00:13 +0000, Jacek Podkanski
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a feeling that there was free software before RMS started the
> free software movement and I think there's no need to give in to
> pressure of one free software group who wants to keep the name for
> themselves.

There's some confusion here.  The underlying problem isn't that there are
competing groups who want to use the phrase "free software" in different
ways.  The problem is that there are people who use the phrase "free
software" without really understanding what it means.

The phrase "free software" has a very specific meaning.  As far as I know,
it's always had the same meaning and always been used in the same way.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }