Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Misunderstanding the Free Software Philosophy

From: Jacek Podkanski
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Misunderstanding the Free Software Philosophy
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:47:09 +0000

Quote from: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

I have capitalised some words for emphasis.

The two terms describe ALMOST THE same category of software, but they stand for views based on fundamentally different values. Open source is a DEVELOPMENT METHODOLOGY; free software is a SOCIAL MOVEMENT.

For the free software movement, free software is an ETHICAL IMPERATIVE, essential respect for the users' freedom. By contrast, the philosophy of open source considers issues in terms of how to make software “better”—in A PRACTICAL SENSE ONLY.

It says that nonfree software is an inferior solution to the PRACTICAL PROBLEM at hand. For the free software movement, however, nonfree software is a SOCIAL PROBLEM,

The controversy of Free Software is almost becoming a religious argument. http://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/2%20Timothy%202:14

The more I read about it, the more it seems to me that Open Source Methodology and Free Software Movement are two inseparable sides of the same coin. You can't solve the social problems without solving the practical problems.

In RMS' own words:
open source..............................free software
development methodology.......social movement

Jacek