Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:39:34 +0000

Anna Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking of running a ubuntu for beginners workshop in the new year,
> something to explain the *system and the philosophy* to some average
> windows/mac users.

Free Software systems plus the Free Software philosophy[1] is what
Manchester Free Software does.

> I'm not very good at computers but I am good at running events and making
> things simple. I can't do much till after the 5th of January cause I have
> too much uni work on. But after than I am free to do!
>
> Who would like to help and do too?

Manchester Free Software definitely wants to help and do this event. We
can have it at Madlab. Its best to have it at the weekend especially for
people helping out. Anna, can you send me some possible dates that work
for you and I'll get it booked in at Madlab.

We will, at least, mention Debian as Ubuntu is a Debian derivative and
the Debian project structure might interest the participants[2].

On non-free software, we will explain why its bad so the participants
can stay on track to software freedom.

> Anna : )

Regards,
Mike.