Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide

From: João Pedro Forjaz de Lacerda
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:09:49 +0000

And let us not forget this:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3896496/Does-Ubuntu-Contribute-its-Share-to-Free-Software-Projects.htm

A quick glance at the tables published in "Linux Kernel Development -
How fast it is going, who is doing it, what they are doing, and who is
sponsoring" (a quick Google search should turn up a few results for
this document), empowers this view.

I believe, however, that your effort is an honourable one: it is less
important to get caught up on these details, and more important to
become proactive.

I'm helping out with a similar event, named "The Keyboard is Mightier
than the Mouse"
(http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/events/archive/2009/12-9-linux/).
Perhaps unsurprisingly, we use
Red Hat's Fedora in this Linux introduction workshop.

In summary: I agree with MJ, but still believe that the most important
thing is giving users a choice. Microsoft handicaps users, and thus
any OSS alternative is better, as users are then given the power to
migrate to Debian / whatever.

Regards,

J.P.