Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Chorlton's Big Green Festival

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Chorlton's Big Green Festival
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:45:25 +0000

Leslie I'Anson wrote:
Surely Gnu/Linux being
slightly more power efficient than windows doesn't count?
There's the argument that embedded Linux is significantly more efficient
than
other embedded operating systems on small hardware.

Particularly as the full version of Windows won't run
on Arm. We have installed servers for file, print &
openvpn that draw less than 5 watts :-)

There's also an argument that GNU/Linux runs better on older hardware,
prolonging its life - I know that I have old Pentium etc. systems which are
still perfectly usable with GNU/Linux.

There's a counter-argument that new hardware is more power-efficient so is
environmentally better; but there's a counter-counter-argument that that
increased efficiency is offset by the energy cost of building the new
hardware.

This is the key one for me - not just cutting power
wasted in manufacturing new machines that aren't
really needed (or wouldn't if MS hadn't brought
out a new, incompatible version) - but also the
heavy metal pollution caused by disposal of old
machines (and in mining & processing new materials).

The 3 millions PCs thrown away in this country
each year are a resource, too - that could lead
to schools having one PC per child (if that was
desirable), and to every village hall & community
venue having a cyber café & teaching suite.

Lastly, as with not scrapping old cars, maintenance
(including maintaining old code) can keep jobs
much more local than the manufacture of replacements...

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley          Social Media & Accessible Web for small Orgs
                                        http://GoodGNUs.org/courses

http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley           Sustainable 3rd Sector IT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardsmedley
                                   http://identi.ca/richardsmedley/