Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Stuart Langridge's Talk on Free Software

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Stuart Langridge's Talk on Free Software
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:36:36 +0000

Dave Page <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> I'm wondering if anybody has any comments about the content of Stuart's
> talk, rather than about the license or distribution method of the video
> thereof?

Yes, I did.  Repost:-

It seemed like a good talk.  A bit surprised by some things, like how
few people have asked Broadcom for drivers.

The message of "don't bollock the users" I think was accompanied by
letting the producers know (note: not bollocking IMO).  If you're
using or have used that sort of hardware, why haven't you asked its
producer for free software drivers?  What would encourage you to do
so?

Another point:-

I think shoeing FSFE about last year's Nokia/raffle incident was a bit
unfair because I didn't hear anyone mention FSFE's correct reaction to
the complaints, which can be seen in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.fsf.europe.discussion/1588

Not all organisations react so well to constructive criticism.  Some
kick out their critics and make snide comments on the criticism.
Credit where it's due, eh?

Regards,