Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Advice on mobile phones please

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Advice on mobile phones please
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:41:12 +0000

"Tim Dobson" <address@hidden> writes:

> the Neo1973 is due to come out sometime at the end of December
> beginning of january.
>
> it will have
> GSM
> Bluetooth 2.0
> GPRS
> AGPS
> WiFi

It doesn't have wifi as far as I can tell, though presumably you could
attach a USB device.  Also no 3G, though I'm not sure how relevant
that is.

> and will be totally free software, even down to the GPS drivers

It apparently has non-free GPS stuff and firmware (or did when I read
about it).

> *obviously running ssh on it should be no problem

... as long as the platform is capable/stable enough, which looks like
an issue currently.  In this context there's the important question of
how easy it is to operate without a keyboard, though.

> *it also has a certain wow factor to it

Mainly that, as I understand it, you can't actually make phone calls
(reliably?) yet...