Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Advice on mobile phones please

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Advice on mobile phones please
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:34:27 +0000

"Noah Slater" <address@hidden> writes:

> I would also be very interested in this, specifically mobile ssh.

There are ports of PuTTY for Symbian S60 (Nokia) and UIQ
(Sony-Ericsson), PalmOS, and even Windows Mobile (which I guess you
won't want).  I've run it on a recently-acquired Nokia E70, but only
via WLAN.  I've no idea how practical display editing is over the
phone -- anyone know? -- and it's not finding O2 3G in Warrington or
Manchester, which can't be right, so I guess the phone's going to be
on its way back.

What isn't too practical is using Emacs via PuTTY, due to lack of
ESC/ALT or [ other than through two levels of menu, though £ or €
should be usable when I get round to it.  I couldn't find info on
general keyboard remapping or getting characters which are more
special into the `special characters' menu.  Also, it maybe needs a
magnifying glass; for myopic me, it's best close-up without glasses.

See <URL: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone>
(probably NSFW ☺).