Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: [ORG-discuss] Fwd: UKUUG - free Evening talk - OpenMo

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: [ORG-discuss] Fwd: UKUUG - free Evening talk - OpenMoko - 9th April
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:56:31 +0100

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:02:55AM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:

> On 02/04/2008, Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is there any information when the Freerunner will be available
> > (approximate timescale)?  I'm very interested in it but the OpenMoko
> > page doesn't seem to give any indication.  Approximate price would be
> > good as well (order of magnitude even, if it's 100 quid I'll go for it
> > but if it's 1000 I won't).
>
> I just noticed this update here [1] about pricing.
> while the timescale has not been confirmed. pricing has.
> >From openmoko.com the Neo Freerunner will cost $299.
> Import to the UK will be the expensive bit.

Thanks.  Dave's transcript also had something on timescale which I
interpreted as "Real Soon Now" (weeks rather than months, I gathered).

Why will import to the UK be expensive?  OK, with shipping + VAT + duty
it won't be at the bank exchange rate, but I would guess no more than
50% added so still well under GBP 299 total (most things sold here seem
to be pound == dollar).

I'll be interested to see the API for it.  I gather the GSM protocol
stack is all hard-coded and not changeable for conformance reasons (I
expected that), but I'm interested in what it provides to applications.

Chris C