Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: [ORG-discuss] Fwd: UKUUG - free Evening talk - OpenMo

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: [ORG-discuss] Fwd: UKUUG - free Evening talk - OpenMoko - 9th April
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:52:24 +0100

Great notes! Perhaps you can put them on a web page somewhere, even at
address@hidden for their web page.

> cards almost everywhere. There is a 3D graphics chip, a 640x480 280dpi

Seems to be a S-Media 3362 GPU, nice to see it doing OpenGL ES 1.x, I
hope it does EGL too.  I wish the Neo was more than VGA though,
something like WVGA or FWVGA as in the Sony Ericsson SO908iCS out in
Japan.

Anyone know why the DPI is always so high on mobiles? Because they
could get away with 1/3 the DPI, like 72 etc. which would take the res
down to 220x140 or so for the same space on screen; saving a lot of
memory.

I posted something about web font DPI sizes on my, I wish text would
be a consistent size across different DPI displays:
http://jguk.org/2008/04/web-font-sizes.html (assuming my understanding
is correct that 12pt will be different if the display is 280dpi than
if it is 72dpi)

Hope the stick USB is a MicroUSB plug/socket, fullsize ones could be
big.  Might need a USB cable with to A ends though if it can be host
as well as slave.

On a related note, has anyone seen a the Android phones in the wild?
I'd like to have a go with one sometime.

Cheers, Jon