Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:22:22 +0000

On Thursday 01 March 2007 12:12, Neil Darlow wrote:
> Not off-the-shelf but everyone would benefit from a software player
> supporting full DVD features using Ogg/Theora/Vorbis and someone could
> always make the design of a hardware player (using readily available
> parts, as I described in another post) available for free.

It would indeed be interesting to put together a "reference implementation"
using readily available bits (and keep it updated as the bits go out of
production).  If you put together a spec, I'd like to try it out!

> We can't promote the use of open formats if there are no means of using
> them to replace proprietary or patent-encumbered ones.

Very true.

Having some sort of easy toolstream for doing a Theora DVD (a Theoriser?)
would be attractive.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly