Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:58:04 +0000

Hi Alex,

Alex Hudson wrote:
> Even if you didn't care about places outside the UK/EU, MPEG is covered
> by a number of European patents. So, it does affect us, I'm afraid.

Quite right. I want the ability to transfer footage from my camcorder,
perform edits, and create a DVD with menus for viewing on my PC without
it being illegal or necessary to pay royalties to use MPEG.

Heck, I'd even like to assemble an open-standards player using an EPIA,
a DVD drive and GNU/Linux on flash stick. I could design front-panel/IR
remote and SCART interfaces to make it usable stand-alone.

Regards,
Neil Darlow