Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:12:26 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> Can DVD players play these?  If not, I suppose the question is one of how
> much
> effort it might take to get manufacturers to make such players, and whether
> that effort might be better applied elsewhere?

Not off-the-shelf but everyone would benefit from a software player
supporting full DVD features using Ogg/Theora/Vorbis and someone could
always make the design of a hardware player (using readily available
parts, as I described in another post) available for free.

We can't promote the use of open formats if there are no means of using
them to replace proprietary or patent-encumbered ones. There are MP3
players that support Vorbis and, with recent lawsuits relating to MP3
licensing, there is incentive hardware manufacturers to embrace open
standards *if* content creation tools exist for them.

Regards,
Neil Darlow