Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 00:08:41 +0000

Hi,

It's chicken-and-egg. Open formats won't be adopted until there's
support for them. I would certainly feel uneasy about selling a DVD,
authored in MPEG format, in the knowledge that I haven't paid the
royalties required to do so. Windows users may be immune to prosecution
but we aren't.

Out of interest, when do the MPEG 1 patents expire, they came in mid 80s didn't they? Which might mean the patents were open now or soon? And maybe MP3 too soon?

Cheers
Jon
--
Weblog: http://jguk.org/