Re: [Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:40:50 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> [...]
> A URL in the copyright would be a good solution legally, but it means the
> notice has to be modified for each page which uses it - and I'd like to keep
> it real simple so that no mistakes can be made (such as by people who start
> writing new webpages by renaming a copy of a template file).

Mistakes can always be made and there seems little difference
between having to change the copyright notice and having to
change the page content (to point to correct URL) to me.

> I'd like for it to be as simple to use as the 1-line "verbatum-only" license
> which GNU webpages use: [...]

That "simple" one is loaded on particular interpretations of
concepts such as verbatim copying. You can get simpler if you
really want to be permissive:

  Anti-copyright: The author of this work waives all claim
  of copyright (economic and moral) in this work.

but if you want to put link-back conditions and other
restrictions on modification, you're not going to get there.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask