Re: [Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:24:13 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden>

>   Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
>   any medium, provided this notice is preserved. Copying and distribution of
>   works based on this article are permitted, provided that such works carry
>   three things: (1) this copyright notice, (2) prominent notices stating the
>   that it has been changed, and (3) information for how to obtain the
>   original (such as a URL).
>
> Which means that people might do things with the page that I don't like, but
> at least there will always be a link to the original, and it should be clear
> that modified versions are not the original.
>
> Surely this issue has crossed other people's minds.  Any comments?

I think you could combine the verbatim and modified permissions
into one by:

This article may be copied and distributed in whole or in part
in any medium, provided that this notice is preserved
and that the reproduced part is clearly marked.

I think the information for how to obtain the original is
forcing people a little much, but you could tack that on the end
if you wished, or put a URL in the copyright notice.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask