[Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] suitable 2-line license for webpages?
Date: 15 Feb 2006 17:56:44 +0000

I'm trying to write a license notice for webpages.  My first criteria is
that the text be so short, and so simple, that it can included on every page
that uses it, and it can be read and understood quickly by anyone who wants
to copy and publish a modified or unmodified copy.

Take for example, the transcript of the GPLv3 launch event:
http://www.ifso.ie/documents/gplv3-launch-2006-01-16.html

Currently it uses the "verbatim only" license, taken from gnu.org:

  Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
  any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

But I would like the notice to allow translations, and partial translations,
so I'd decided that it's not possible to allow these things without allowing
all modifications.  (at least not while maintaining the simplicity I want.)

So I came up with this:

  Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
  any medium, provided this notice is preserved. Copying and distribution of
  works based on this article are permitted, provided that such works carry
  three things: (1) this copyright notice, (2) prominent notices stating the
  that it has been changed, and (3) information for how to obtain the
  original (such as a URL).

Which means that people might do things with the page that I don't like, but
at least there will always be a link to the original, and it should be clear
that modified versions are not the original.

Surely this issue has crossed other people's minds.  Any comments?

thanks.
--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan, _________|  Support free software: join FSFE's Fellowship
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ |   & encourage others to do so: http://fsfe.org