Re: [Fsfe-uk] "Contributing to Free Software" article

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] "Contributing to Free Software" article
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:17:17 +0000

Roger,

It's really good. Here are a few thoughts (I've only just looked at this for
the first time):

1.1 - the software isn't *able* to be modified... how about "which allows
certain freedoms, including..." or "which can be modified..."?

In general, it reads well, but I was left feeling that the advice was in
places a bit random, especially in the coding section. As a document aimed at
companies using free software, especially companies involved with software
development, it would work well, since I assume they'd simply approach the
projects they already rely on and use your tips to guide them in. But as a
document for individuals, it's too sketchy, especially for non-coders.

Perhaps you could expand the 2.0 point to explain that there are many things a
user can do to contribute, that they should consider these following tasks as
options, and then include a few words on how to select a project to
contribute to, how to approach them, etc.

I also think it'd be a good idea to mention a few projects that have schemes
specifically aimed at recruiting relatively clueless users keen on
contributing. The KDE Quality Team project (http://quality.kde.org/) does
this, for example, and has some more expansive guides, especially in areas
you don't have space to explain well (e.g. documentation, user interface,
communication and promotion).

And being an overtly and overly political type, I'd include a note about
working with free software-friendly organisations to protect free software
against legislative and technological threats :-)

Regards,
Tom