Re: [Fsfe-uk] The Reg on RMS in London

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] The Reg on RMS in London
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:37:24 +0100

P.L.Hayes wrote:

On Friday 28 May 2004 18:34, Ralph Janke wrote:
I don't see the problem here. Freedom and liberty are for me as
essential for quality of live as is health.

For me too but the problem is that it is irrelevant what you or I already feel about these matters; what counts is what people unfamiliar with the issues will think and feel in the near future and it is clumsy and counterproductive to introduce a dramatic and emotive analogy when important members of your audience are well aware of the life and death seriousness of one half of it but may currently see the other half as a relatively trivial technical or industrial matter. It may be a long time before 'computer' and 'keyboard' are associated together in the average mind in the same way that 'pen' and 'paper' or 'canvas' and 'brush' already are.

I understand your concerns, but I think there is another perspective as well.

The nice thing about diversity is that not everybody thing in the same straight line. What you describe as clumsy
and couterproductive, others see other genius and revolutionary.

I believe people are made of different fabric, have different talents and therefore are able to take on different roles. I believe the strength of diversity is to accept these differences and tolerate the different perspectives. Richard Stallmen has a different way of thinking, and a personallity which often offends people. That is part of his nature, the way his brain is wired. However, those traits come with his unwavering commitment to go through with his ideas. Many people would have long given up if they would have stood in his shoes.

I also see an oportunity here to take the contraversity to open peoples mind and to allow them to see
another perspective.

Even if that happy circumstance does eventually arise you'd still have a hard time of it convincing people of the validity of that particular analogy and it is hardly an effective means of persuading people who are still exploring the rational grounds on which the arguments are based - people like the politicians that were present. It is a serious tactical error to attempt to use strong emotional leverage in an argument unless you can be fairly certain your audience is already receptive to it. As James said:

The problem with the analogy is just what Lucy Sheffield says -- from the point of view of bare logical structure, maybe it is an effective reductio ad absurdum. But that ignores the human level, where even hinting at any comparability between the two is likely to draw a sharp intake of breath, and in very questionable taste.

Which is the whole point - one mistake like that and with some people you can lose the whole argument.

As I said before. I do not believe that Richard Stallmen will ever really understand this point of view. He is no politician and will never be one. His brain is not wired in a way to understand it. If you are afraid of this, then you probably should forbid Richard to talk anywhere, where politicians are around. Or have some diplomat there
to translate for them.
On the other hand, I think it shows the fundamental problem we have in society, that in particular the politician are not capable to appreciate diversity. Otherwise the would be able not to get hung up on such minor issues and
look at the big picture.

I also do not believe that one mistake or tactical error will decide the war. It might have an influence on a battle, but there are many battles to win or loose the war. I believe the struggle over software patents is a fundamental struggel over the direction of society. Our world has changed so much that a lot of things in society have not been able to keep up with it. There will be lots of changes in law, politics even they way we view democracy.

I think we have to stop looking for the quick fix and commit to stay in it for the long run. Rome was not built in one day. And Richard Stallman is working on making GPL are grassroots movement for 20 year now. And at the end it doesn't concern one politician what Richard says. They are concerned to be re-elected. If you want to change a politicians mind, you need to have their constituency put pressure on them. Richards words have little effect in this regard.

I remember when the green grassroot movement started in Germany. Most people in the movement were viewed by the establishment in the way you describe your fear politicians may look at the free software movement. However, today, a lot of the revolutionary talk of that time is in every parties' manifest. And the green party in Germany is in its second Government. I have heard lots of opinions at that time about being more aggressive and confront people more v. try to not offend people, etc.

At the end the strong point is to do both. People need to be shaken up, to be offended in some way, to wake up and see that there is a problem. And then they need to be led to an alternative of the status-quo. They need contructive methods for the change. However, nobody would even listen to opportunities of changes if they do not accept the need for it. And this sometimes needs a more aggressive approach.

And the end, I believe, it is important that we all work on the issue with our specific talents. We can all put our impuls on the momentum wheel. And than change will happen. Internal fights for the right way usually create opposite impulses and stop the momentum wheel.

Anyhow, this are my 2 cents worth,

Ralph Janke