Re: [Fsfe-uk] The Reg on RMS in London

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] The Reg on RMS in London
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:41:20 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:32, James Heald wrote:

... doesn't like his dead Africans analogy
        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/25/stallman_lecture/

I found that commentary strange. When I read it, I assumed RMS was
drawing a parallel between software patents blocking innovation and
pharmaceutical patents blocking healthcare - whereas, the Reg argument
seems to be more of a 'RMS Godwin'd himself by talking about AIDs in
Africa' if you see what I mean.

RMS's point read to me as a subtle 'patents can destroy communities' -
whereas they seemed to see it as an inflammatory 'stopping programmers
working is like letting Africans die', which I don't think (hope :) was
his point.
That said, even if he meant what I thought he did but was interpreted by
the Reg to mean something else, it probably was a bad analogy, probably
not one I would use personally (or could have been made more explicitly
about patents - but of course, without the original text, we don't know
what he said....)

His line was that when Governments say "look, software patents aren't so bad, there are lots of free software projects still standing", this holds about as much water as saying "Look, AIDS isn't so bad, there are lots of Africans still standing".

The problem with the analogy is just what Lucy Sheffield says -- from the point of view of bare logical structure, maybe it is an effective reductio ad absurdum. But that ignores the human level, where even hinting at any comparability between the two is likely to draw a sharp intake of breath, and in very questionable taste.