Re: [Fsfe-uk] Co-operative Internet Banking

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Co-operative Internet Banking
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:08:55 +0000

On 2004-03-08 08:12:54 +0000 Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:

If AFFS is campaigning against one bank, shouldn't it campaign against all banks? It's a fairly widespread problem.

I don't know where you got the idea that I was on a negative campaign. In some ways, I think their initial reaction is quite promising, although there's some doubt expressed by other posters that they really recognise the true problem yet.

Let's be clear about this: AFFS is not campaigning against any bank at the moment. I don't intend to propose a boycott of any. Its treasurer is asking its bank to support open standards, probably using Tom Chance's OIP material, and follow its own published statements. Their previous systems have been above-average in allowing access by free software users.

If AFFS members want to ask other banks, I think that would be wonderful. If I succeed with Co-op bank, maybe I'll ask other banks, but I start there because AFFS's account is held there (which should count for something), we're part of a wider group asking them and it should have some practical benefits for AFFS admin. Maybe some think "if you aren't going to ask them all, then don't single one out" but that's not my view and I think we already singled one out by opening an account.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden