[Fsfe-uk] A new workgroup suggestion

From: Tom Chance
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] A new workgroup suggestion
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:48:22 +0000

Hello,

I'd like to suggest a new workgroup, to focus on the issue of free/open
standards, particularly in digital media. The immediate goals of the
workgroup would be to begin lobbying individual organisations to adopt clear
and sufficient policy on the use of digital media, whilst long term goals
could include raising awareness of free/open standards in various corporate,
non-profit and governmental circles.

It in a sense overlaps with the education and government workgroups, but it
would provide the AFFS several key opportunities:

1) To work in unison with the UKCDR, FFII-UK and other groups on a shared
concern, whilst focussing on something very specific
2) To promote an achievably solution to a pressing problem
3) To run something which every geek on the planet can help out with, simply
by talking to any organisations they are part of

I've already worked through my students' union to pass good policy on the use
of digital media, and apparently the Uni of London Union are now looking at
that policy. I think that it's critical that groups like the AFFS not only
discuss issues, but promote clear solutions and campaign for their adoption,
and my experience in my union suggests that this is a perfect candidate.

I'd like to use the opportunity of the coming Linux Expo to go around and talk
to other exhibitors and visitors about this, so if others like the idea and
would like to work on it, it'd be good to get this workgroup up and running
soon. OTOH if nobody likes the idea, I'll go back to my plotting.

Tom

p.s. back when I started working on the idea, and gave it a fancy name, I put
together info on it, including my union documents, here:
http://www.tomchance.org.uk/research/freesoftware/oip