Re: [Fsfe-uk] A new workgroup suggestion

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] A new workgroup suggestion
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:02:05 +0000

On Friday 20 Feb 2004 23:44, Alex Hudson wrote:
> I guess the initial step would be to put together resources required -
> like the leaflet you've already used, maybe form covering letters, other
> useful bits and pieces - so that people can download, print, mail to
> their favourite org, etc.

That sounds like a good thing for me to do next week :-)

> A good idea to start with would also probably
> be to compile a hitlist, so that people aren't hitting the same orgs all
> the time and that there's some kind of history. Themeing this, at least
> initially, wouldn't be a bad idea either: trades unions, community
> groups, political parties, and other socially-aware groups are probably
> the best first targets; technically they would be the low-hanging fruit
> I imagine.

Another task for next week could be phoning up different Students' Unions,
getting hold of their Equal Opportunities officers and trying to persuade
them to do something on this. Theming definitely sounds like a good idea,
also because it will concentrate any changes we can make and so make them
more noticeable in the circles of groups we target. In fact, NUS Conference
is coming up so maybe I'll try to get something in there.

> Although it's unlikely you would be able to round up many people (at
> least until the success stories start rolling in...) I don't see
> anything in the above which is unpossible, and I don't really see why we
> (AFFS) would not take part. I think I would probably want to see the
> workgroup called 'Evangelism' or something equally open-ended (the basic
> theme is fairly universal) making the OIP (or whatever) project #1,
> although I guess that really doesn't matter at this stage. The
> alternative - of turning someone away who wants to do something useful -
> isn't really the kind of progressive thing we ought to be doing, so I my
> instinct would be to say yes, why not. The only thing we can't really
> promise is people, if we'd licked that problem there wouldn't be a
> problem ;)

I'm glad for any support you can give me at this stage, since I'm certain that
me working on an AFFS campaign will have far more credibility amongst
skeptical geeks than me working alone.

Regards,

Tom