Re: [Fsfe-uk] Compiling history of free software in the UK

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Compiling history of free software in the UK
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:36:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Mark Preston wrote:

> Jason Clifford produced Definite Linux in the past and currently runs
> ukfsn.org so if anybody knows of a central free software repository I
> suppose he should.

Nope. There isn't one to the best of my knowledge.

I tracked freshmeat and half a dozen other lists as well as keeping an eye
out for newsgroup and mailing list announcements.

It was very much a full time job. Note that this was back in the period
1997-1999 and things have moved on a bit since then.

Freshmeat is probably still the best single source however it is by no
means complete.

I thought about setting up a Free Software directory however it would be a
fairly useless duplication of effort.

FSF are publishing such a directory now - again it's incomplete. I've
posted the URL within the last three weeks to this list.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/      1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month