Re: [Fsfe-uk] Birmingham Expo

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Birmingham Expo
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:26:41 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> >* Display materials (e.g. big "AFFS" sign, leaflets for people to take
> >away and digest later).
>
> Good point, I'll see if I get a chance to pull together some docs, which
> I'll pdf and link on the list, but don't let that stop anyone else doing
> the same.

Cool. I guess this means the logo also needs a little attention (if we're
getting a big sign printed, we'd need enormous high-res (ideally) vector
versions of it.

> I had (previously) offered Synergistic Software Company's (SSC) help
> (there's two of us) at least for manning the stand.

Ok. Count me in as well, and possibly one or two of the other Luminas bods
(guys? speak up!), plus Alex, anyone else?

> We (SSC) could talk about how we make money using Free Software, but how
> "AFFS-centric" we could make it could be as big a thread as the one
> which just (hopefully) closed.

Uh-huh. I guess we need to decide what we think is important to get across
at the first "public" outing of AFFS. Should it be a more general "who we
are, what we do" kinda talk? Should it focus on a specific issue?

> SSC could probably provide a Projector

That could be fun ... how good is it in high light conditions? Could we
save on printing the logo by projecting it on the back of the stand?

> We could bring one of our Window$ machines with, but then we are limited
> to free software that runs on Window$.

I actually quite like that idea as it promotes less obvious free software
(and makes it clear that free software is not _just_ GNU/Linux).

I'll throw a laptop in to the pile, too.

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:47:32AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> > * Can anyone confirm that we definitely have a stand there?
>
> I don't know if that was ever confirmed. One idea was to have a joint
> FSFE/AFFS stand, but I don't know if that was ever seriously touted.
> FSF already have a stand though, IIRC.

Ok. Who do we need to check with?

> > * Mechanism for people to join AFFS at the stand. I'd suggest a laptop or
> > two with a suitable form to fill in (on the theory that electronic data
> > capture should reduce errors), optionally spitting out receipts if we're
> > taking money from them. (Do we legally need to provide receipts? If not,
> > an A5 "thank you for joining AFFS" sheet would be a good idea.)
>
> Receipts are often needed if someone needs to claim the money back
> somehow - unlikely, but possible. Often, people like to know they have
> some sort of proof that they handed over the readies too.

Fair comment. So if we pre-print a load of A5 "Thank you for joining
AFFS" leaflets, we can just print receipt information on the back of them.
I'll cheerfully bring along a knackered old BJ-10ex, unless anyone else
has a better printer?

> There was a suggestion of interesting BOF meetings also.. I'm not sure
> how organised the speaking is atm, tho', certainly the brumexpo web site
> is a little out of date.

Ok. Probably worth checking when we check the availability of a stand.

> I would suggest that AFFS have some sort of meeting there. Not
> necessarily an official one as such, but a 'AFFS people will be in pub
> X at time Y, come join us'. Useful for new members and old list
> participants alike.

That's a good call. I'd strongly recommend _not_ making it an official
minuted one, as the expo could get in the way of that (and after being on
a stand all day most people will just want to relax). But sociable
drink(s) would be good.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden