Re: getting FSF Europe, Chatper UK going (was Re: Thanks)

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: getting FSF Europe, Chatper UK going (was Re: Thanks)
Date: 16 Jun 2001 23:47:52 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> Frederic Couchet <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Having all the list in a same (and official) place is a good thing and
> > make cooperation between us easier.
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> Can you say "all your eggs in one basket"?  Personally, I quite like
> lists being hosted away from the main sites, as they tend to function
> better in my experience.  We have someone in the UK willing to donate
> some facilities, so why not graciously accept the donation?

As a counter argument, we have the example of debian-uk, which is
hosted on chiark.greenend.org.uk, which does work OK (when SAUCE isn't
doing it's thing ;-), but as demonstrated earlier in this thread, few
people find it, because it's not address@hidden (where it
"should" be).

BTW if people want somewhere to meet up before September, there's the
London Linux Expo on 5&6 July:
  http://www.linuxexpo.co.uk/index/

Just before that there's the UKUUG developers conference (which I'll
be missing, but is usually well worth a visit):
  http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2001/

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Debian will have a stand at both Expos, so come and say hello if
you're around, and you might even get one of our free beers :-)
--
Say no to software patents!   http://petition.eurolinux.org/

Philip Hands.  +44 (0)20 7744 6244  address@hidden
Alcove -- Liberating Software           http://www.alcove.com/