Re: Chance to meet with Werner Koch

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: Chance to meet with Werner Koch
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:23:25 +0100

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 06:46:00PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> 1. Is there anyone here from the debian-uk mailing list?

AFAIK, no. Everyone here has come directly from FSFE-Discussion.

My idea (which nobody appeared to disagree with) was that before we started
advertising to organisations not dedicated to Free Software (debian-uk is
dedicated to Debian, which happens to be Free, but their scope isn't Free
software in the same way it is for APRIL, etc... does that make sense???
They only talk about Debian :) we should get a charter together, so that
people who are joining the list know exactly what it is they are joining, to
keep the signal level high.

Unless anyone else has any comments to make (more than welcome!!), I would
consider what I've written (plus MJR's corrections) to basically be it, so
if everyone is happy with it there's no reason to hold back now? I'll repost
it again (+ corrections) a little later, just in case people missed it.

The organisations I think should be told:

- all the UK LUGs
- UKUUG
- debian-uk (didn't know about this one til you mentioned it, thanks :)
- the uk newsgroups

(can anyone think of anyone else?)

I think we should probably put together a press release, basically stating
that we're looking to start an organisation in the UK dedicated to Free
Software, include the charter for the discussion list, include basic
information about the FSFE, and get things moving?

> 2. I'm in Bristol.  I could attend a meeting in London on the 15th if
> it looked like it would be well organized/attended in terms of
> starting a UK free software association, otherwise it is too far to
> travel just for a drink, etc, nice as that would be.

I think even if Werner finds he is too busy, we should meet at some point
anyway. June 15th might be a bit soon - I think we need a lot more people
contributing to the list - but definitely not later than July. And I agree,
it shouldn't just be a social event (although I wouldn't rule out drinks at
_some_ point :) - we're all here because we want to see stuff happen, not
talk about it!!

-
FSFE discussions U.K
address@hidden