Re: [fsf-community-team] Blog post: Free and Proprietary Software, Pragm

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Blog post: Free and Proprietary Software, Pragmatism, FSF, Stallman, and de Icaza
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:57:11 -0000

I think this is another one of those infighting posts that should be avoided.

Also, I think the author understands FSF's perspective pretty well, and presents it factually (even though he doesn't agree with it). We do think that proprietary software is unfair and illegitimate (since it takes away rights), that people should only use free software (to protect their and our rights), and that we should work for a world where all software is free.

It might be worth standing up for our hard-line strategy on principle, and pointing to its practical successes, however.

Do people have good hard-to-refute examples of how insistence on total freedom helped improved the availability of free software even from the perspective of people who don't care about mixing free and proprietary tools?

Another issue is that of audience. I think when we post items for responses, we should post something empirical showing that the item has real reach (diggs received, a link from a much larger site, an alexa ranking, etc) or we should explain why this source is particularly influential within an important community.

Spending time responding to stuff on personal blogs and email lists seems too much like argument for its own sake.

-Holmes