Re: [fsf-community-team] Hardware Freedom

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Hardware Freedom
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 04:03:13 -0000

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 12:22 -0800, Franz Christopher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know if I am over-stepping my membership in this list by
> posting something out of the blue, however, I have heard a great deal
> about Free Software, but I have yet to hear about Free Hardware. Is
> there such a thing?

This is something else that keeps on coming up.
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-06-22-005-05-NW-LF

However, the issue has more relevence in the context of 3d printing and
fabricating technology.
eg.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Here the developers have attempted to utilise a copyleft on their
fabricator in the sense that they will give you one if you use it to
make another one.