Re: [fsf-community-team] Gnome Dev suggests Split from GNU?

From: Brandon Lozza
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Gnome Dev suggests Split from GNU?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:58:07 -0500

Hi,

I don't think there ever would be a KDE+Gnome merger as they can never
seem to agree on anything. However i've noticed recently KDE has been
an outstanding member of Free Software. Qt is now GPL, which
eliminates that ancient source of criticism.

I'm well aware of the people attacking Free Software and RMS, such
people attack me as well for advocating Free Software (even suggesting
that I link Microsoft with some conspiracy like Reptilian alien
agenda, ROFL). I wrote about the issue originally on my blog which was
Slashdotted because I wanted people to know what was going on. I
understand its one mans idea, however he has influence and the man who
backed up his idea (David Schlesinger) works for a proprietary company
which purchased his seat on the Gnome Advisory board. Hopefully the
fact that this was brought up may prevent Gnome from splitting. At the
same time, pro-C# boosters and people who promote non-free seem to
want to push the idea of getting out of the GNU. Perhaps so they can
infect Gnome with even more non-free dependencies. This would be
terrible and if it did I would beg for KDE to take its place.