Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 07:09:44 +0200 (CEST)

> So do newer versions also provide a synthesized Unicode charmap in
> case there is none?

Normally yes, if it is possible.  However, IIRC, it doesn't work for
MS symbol encoding, since the mapping is not one-to-one: for example,
`wingding.ttf` and `webdings.ttf` share the same codespace
(0xF020-0xF0FF) for completely different glyphs.

With this in my mind I was able to identify some relevant commits:

  commit 75cb071b3fbfa2315c5d458fee2bb465a14568ae
  Author: Alexei Podtelezhnikov (Алексей Подтележников) <apodtele@gmail.com>
  Date:   Wed Jun 21 22:52:37 2017 -0400

    [sfnt] Synthesize a Unicode charmap if one is missing.

    * src/sfnt/ttcmap.h (tt_cmap_unicode_class_rec): Declare it.
    * src/sfnt/ttcmap.c (tt_get_glyph_name, tt_cmap_unicode_init,
    tt_cmap_unicode_done, tt_cmap_unicode_char_index,
    tt_cmap_unicode_char_next, tt_cmap_unicode_class_rec): Implement
    synthetic Unicode charmap class.
    (tt_get_cmap_info): Make sure the callback is available.

    * src/sfnt/sfobjs.c (sfnt_load_face)
    [FT_CONFIG_OPTION_POSTSCRIPT_NAMES]: If Unicode charmap is missing,
    synthesize one.

    * include/freetype/config/ftoption.h: Document it.
    * devel/ftoption.h: Ditto.

  commit 7653c76533dcde3d87bd7af5a2c12e8c95412c12
  Author: Alexei Podtelezhnikov (Алексей Подтележников) <apodtele@gmail.com>
  Date:   Thu Aug 17 21:28:32 2017 -0400

    [sfnt] Avoid synthetic unicode for symbol fonts with PUA.

    Reported as

      https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=754574

    * src/sfnt/sfobjs.c (sfnt_load_face): Check for FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL.

There is probably more, but at least you can see some reasoning.

> I was a bit confused by your first reply in which you said that when
> you open the font "face->num_charmaps" is 2. This would mean that
> the latest FreeType version does NOT synthesize a Unicode charmap if
> there is none in the TTF because 2 indicates that just the charmaps
> physically stored inside the TTF are used.

Exactly.